Eugene Plastering is proud to offer two special artisan finishes that can be part of any plastering project.
Venetian plaster is a decorative plaster finish that has been used for centuries in Italy and other parts of the world. Applying Venetian plaster — a multi-layered, polished plaster technique — is time-consuming and requires a good deal of skill, but the result is a beautiful and durable wall finish that will last for many years.
Here is the step-by-step process:
- Surface preparation: First we make sure the surface is clean, dry, and free of any dirt or debris. If the surface is uneven or has cracks, it will be sanded and repaired.
- First layer: We then apply the first layer of plaster, also known as the “scratch coat,” using a trowel and to spread the plaster. It is important that the plaster is applied evenly and that any ridges or bumps are smoothed over.
- Second layer: Once the first layer is dry, the second layer, also known as the
“brown coat,” is spread evenly and smoothly over the surface.
- Troweling the plaster: Once the brown coat has been applied, we use a special trowel to create a smooth finish and to ensure that any ridges or bumps are removed.
- The Venetian plaster: Next comes the Venetian plaster. It is applied with a trowel in a thin layer, doing small sections at a time.
- Polishing: After the Venetian plaster has dried completely, it is polished using a special tool called a burnishing trowel. This give the Venetian plaster its characteristic polish and shine.
- Additional layers: Depending on the desired finish, additional layers of Venetian plaster can be applied and polished repeatedly until the desired finish is achieved.
- Sealing: After the final layer has dried, the surface coated with a protective sealant to protect the plaster from damage and make it easier to clean.
Tadelakt plastering is a unique and luxurious technique that has been used for centuries in
Morocco and other parts of North Africa. It creates a smooth, waterproof, shiny finish suitable for bathrooms, kitchens, and even swimming pools.
In Tadelakt plastering, the craftsperson applies a special lime-based plaster in several layers, which are then polished to create a smooth, seamless surface.
Then, during the final step, a mixture of olive oil soap and water is applied. This the waterproof, shiny finish that is characteristic of Tadelakt.
The result is stunningly beautiful — and durable. Tadelakt plastering adds elegance and sophistication to any space, and can be used to create a look that is truly one-of-a-kind.
In addition to its beauty, Tadelakt plastering is eco-friendly. The materials used are all natural and there are no synthetic chemicals or additives in the process. It can be a key part of a healthy and environmentally friendly living or working space.